These easy biscoff overnight oats are made with Lotus Biscoff spread (aka cookie butter) and are creamy and indulgent with a warm, caramelized flavor. They'll make you feel like you're having dessert for breakfast while the nutrients in the oats and chia seeds will keep you feeling good and satisfied throughout the day.
If you're a fan of the iconic spiced cookie spread that's taken the world by storm, then these biscoff overnight oats are bound to become your new breakfast obsession. They're the best easy, filling grab-and-go breakfast you can prep the night before.
Haven't heard of Biscoff? You're in for a treat! Lotus Biscoff is a biscuit brand from Belgium. These crunchy treats, caramelized and infused with spices, were first enjoyed with coffee but are now used in desserts, spreads, and beverages. The flavor of the biscuits led to the creation of a smooth spread, perfect for toast, oatmeal, or eating straight from the jar. Other brands have similar spreads usually called cookie butter or speculoos.
Overnight oats are full of vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, minerals, and protein that helps you stay fuller for longer. You can even add some vanilla protein powder for an extra boost! This recipe is a perfect healthy breakfast that tastes like an indulgent dessert.
For even more biscoff flavor, the oats are topped with a layer of cookie butter that hardens into a soft "magic shell" in the refrigerator. A biscoff biscuit on top is added for a pretty garnish and extra crunch!
Here are some notes about the ingredients used. For quantities and full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Whole rolled oats- Use whole rolled oats (also known as old fashioned oats) because they will have the best texture and tons of whole grains and fiber. Don't use quick cooking oats because they will absorb too much liquid and get soggy. Also avoid steel cut oats because they won't soak up enough of the liquid.
- Chia seeds- Chia seeds are added to help absorb liquid and thicken the cookie butter overnight oats. They're also full of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, and have many more health benefits. You can buy chia seeds at health food stores and most regular grocery stores. Use leftover seeds to make chia pudding, protein balls, or banana bread!
- Lotus biscoff spread- This spiced, creamy spread is made of blended Lotus Biscoff cookies. It adds a lovely warm flavor to the oats. You can buy it at most large chain grocery stores; look for it near the nut butters and jelly.
- Milk- Use any plant-based or dairy milk to add creaminess and moisture. I personally opted for oat milk because it's naturally sweet and super creamy.
- Milk: Use any milk to satisfy your dietary preferences. You can use almond, oat, soy, flaxseed, or cow's milk.
- Biscoff cookies: I love adding a biscoff cookie and some crumbs as a topping. If you don't have the cookies, you can use something with a similar flavor like graham crackers, ginger snaps, or vanilla wafers.
Helpful Equipment and Tools
To make this recipe, first gather your tools: measuring cups, measuring spoons, a large and small mixing bowl, and a spoon or whisk. As for storage, use whatever containers you have on hand, whether it's mason jars, Tupperware, glass Pyrex, or any other suitable option.
Step by Step Instructions
Here is how to make biscoff overnight oats! Before you start, measure out your ingredients and grab a large bowl.
STEP 1: First, mix the oats and chia seeds together in a large bowl until well combined. Set aside.
STEP 2: Next, melt ½ cup of biscoff in the microwave for 30 seconds. Don't go any longer and watch it carefully so it doesn't burn! Stir it with your spoon until it's smooth and quite liquid-y.
STEP 3: Pour the melted biscoff spread into the bowl of oats and chia seeds. Use a spoon to mix until the oats are coated in cookie butter.
STEP 4: Next, pour in the milk and stir until well combined. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and let it thicken in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
STEP 5: Once the oats have thickened, portion them into individual cups or jars. After that, melt ¼ cup of biscoff spread in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds.
STEP 6: Once the biscoff is melted, pour 1 tablespoon on top of each jar of oatmeal to create a magic shell. Place each jar in the refrigerator for 20 minutes for the shell to harden. After that, top with a Lotus cookie and enjoy!
- Adjust the sweetness. I didn't add any additional sweeteners to this recipe because the cookie butter is already super sweet. But if they aren't sweet enough for you, feel free to add a couple tablespoons of maple syrup.
- Let the oats soak. Make sure the oats soak for at least 4 hours, but ideally overnight. If they don't soak long enough, the oats and chia seeds won't absorb all the milk and there will be a pool of liquid left at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add toppings after refrigerating. Add the toppings of your choice right before you eat the oats. No one likes soggy fruit, nuts, and biscuits!
Additions and Variations
Here are some fun toppings and other ingredients you can add to your biscoff overnight oats!
- Fresh fruit: Add a burst of freshness by adding sliced bananas, berries, diced apples, or chopped mangoes.
- Nuts and seeds: For added crunch and nutritional value, toss in a handful of chopped almonds, walnuts, or pecans. You can also sprinkle some chia seeds, flaxseeds, or pumpkin seeds for extra fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chocolate lovers: Try mixing in a tablespoon of cocoa powder or adding chocolate chips to your oats. The combination of Biscoff and chocolate is pure bliss!
- Spice it up: Enhance the warm flavors by adding a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or a dash of vanilla extract to your oatmeal. These spices make them taste extra cozy.
- Coconut: Sprinkle some toasted coconut flakes on top of your oats. It'll add a hint of tropical goodness and crunch.
- Protein boost: Incorporate your favorite protein powder or a spoonful of nut butter (like almond or peanut butter) to make your overnight oats protein-packed.
- Swirl in some jam: Take your oats to the next level by swirling in a spoonful of your favorite jam or jelly. Raspberry, strawberry, and apricot jam are delicious.
Storage and Freezing
Your overnight oats will stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. If they seem a little stiff, dry, or thick, try mixing in an extra splash of milk before serving.
Freeze the oats (without the biscoff shell topping) in a freezer-safe container for up to 1 month. Let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator before eating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Overnight oats are typically eaten cold, but I totally understand that not everyone can get behind eating cold oats. You can definitely warm them up if you prefer! Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or so. Add any toppings after the oatmeal has been warmed.
Unfortunately it's not because biscoff spread is not gluten free. You can buy a gluten free cookie butter (Trader Joe's sells one) or make your own!
Lotus Biscoff is naturally vegan! All you need to do to make these oats totally vegan is used plant milk.
Technically you can, but I wouldn't. Using almond milk, oat milk, or cow's milk adds creaminess, sweetness, and extra flavor that you won't get with just water.
More Breakfast Recipes to Try
Biscoff Overnight Oats
- 5 jars for storing the oats
- First, mix the oats and chia seeds together in a large bowl until combined. Set aside.2 cups whole rolled oats, 3 tablespoon chia seeds
- Melt ½ cup biscoff spread in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir with a spoon until smooth.½ cup Lotus Biscoff spread
- Pour the melted biscoff into the bowl of oats and chia seeds. Mix until the oats are well coated.
- Pour in the milk and stir until well combined. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and let it thicken in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.2 cups milk
- Once the oats have thickened, portion them into individual cups or jars.
- Melt ¼ cup biscoff in a small bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds. Pour 1 tablespoon on top of each jar of oats. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.¼ cup Lotus Biscoff spread
- Once the spread on top has hardened, top each jar with half a Biscoff cookie and enjoy.2 Biscoff cookies