Sweet dreams lie ahead with this pink rose moon milk. This sleep tonic is a tasty, warming bedtime beverage that will help you rest. It is naturally gluten free, dairy free, easy to make, and will help promote deep sleep. The pink color is an added dreamy bonus.
With the stress we all experience in our daily lives, I think we could all use help getting a good night's sleep. Throughout my wellness journey, I have been working on improving my sleep routine. This pink rose moon milk has been a great addition to my nightly bedtime ritual!
Moon milk is a cozy beverage made with warm milk. This recipe combines milk with honey, fragrant rosewater and ginger, and a touch of relaxing ashwagandha.
If you love drink recipes as much as I do, check out my toasted vanilla oat milk shaken espresso.
Why You'll Love This
- Warming and calming- This is the perfect Ayurvedic beverage for a chilly evening. It's has ashwaganda, an adaptogen to help relieve stress and anxiety.
- Naturally dairy free and gluten free- Plant-based milk makes this moon milk dairy free.
- No refined sugars- This beverage is naturally sweetened with honey.
- Easy to make- You don't have to worry about juicing beets since this recipe uses beetroot powder.
What is Moon Milk?
Moon milk is a soothing, creamy drink that consists of warm milk, spices, and herbs that help the body and mind to relax and fall sleep. They're usually naturally colored with vibrant ingredients like butterfly pea flower powder, pitaya, and beetroot powder. Many recipes contain herbs like turmeric, chamomile, ashwagandha, cardamom, ginger, and ghee or coconut oil.
Moon milk is a natural remedy that is part of from Ayurveda, one of the oldest natural healing systems in the world. Ayurveda is a Sanskrit word that translates to 'knowledge of Life'. In Ayurveda, plants and herbs are used for their medicinal properties. True to the tradition, each ingredient in my moon milk recipe has a specific purpose and will help you unwind, and dream big.
Here are some notes about the ingredients used. For the full ingredient list and quantities, please see the recipe card below!
- Milk- Drinking warm milk is an age-old bedtime ritual. Plant milk (oat milk, almond milk) contain melatonin and tryptophan- both of which help with sleep.
- Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate- Unsweetened tart cherry juice is full of nutrients and antioxidants. Tart cherries are also a natural source of melatonin, tryptophan, and anthocyanins. Melatonin is responsible for the regulation of the body's internal clock and sleep-wake cycle. In short, it helps you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. The tryptophan and anthocyanin can boost the effects of melatonin.
- Beetroot- This can help promote healthy blood flow.
- Ashwagandha- This is an adaptogen and one of the most important medicinal herbs in Ayurveda. It can help to reduce anxiety and stress.
- Ginger- Ginger root has tons of antioxidants and is also known for its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Raw honey- Honey is also a great source of antioxidants. It can aid in soothing sore throats and coughs. Honey also has antibacterial properties.
- Rosewater and dried rose petals- The rose petals certainly help this drink look beautiful, but the fragrance is also intoxicating and helps to soothe your senses.
- Maple syrup- This can be substituted for the raw honey to make this moon milk totally vegan.
- Ground ginger- This can be substituted for the fresh ginger if you don't have any on hand.
- Dairy milk- If you aren't following a plant-based diet and aren't sensitive to dairy, feel free to use dairy milk instead of plant-based.
- Orange blossom water- You can use orange blossom water instead of rose water for a citrusy twist.
How to Make Rose Moon Milk
Here are the steps to make this recipe! All you need is a saucepan, whisk, and mugs to serve the drinks in.
STEP 1: Add ingredients to a pot. Add all of your ingredients to a small saucepan on the stove.
STEP 2: Heat the liquid. Set the burner to medium-low, whisking the mixture together until all the ingredients are well combined.
STEP 3: Pour into mugs. Once the liquid starts to get warm, steamy, and frothy, take the saucepan off the burner. Pour the moon milk into mugs.
STEP 4: Garnish and serve. Garnish the sleep tonic with dried rose petals, lavender buds, and an additional drizzle of honey. Then, get ready to sleep tight.
- Make sure to frequently stir the moon milk while it is simmering. This helps to prevent the milk from burning.
- If you find that your moon milk is not sweet enough, you can add more honey to taste.
There are quite a few ingredients you can add to this rose moon milk.
- CBD oil- A few drops of CBD oil will help you relax even more. My favorite CBD brands at the moment are Ned and Equilibria.
- Collagen peptides- For an extra boost of protein and nutrition, you can add a scoop of collagen peptides. Collagen is great for your hair, skin, and nails.
- Cardamon- You may want to add a dash of ground cardamom to your sleep tonic. Cardamom compliments the rose flavor so well. It is so comforting and warming, and it has a ton of health benefits as well. You could also add a little pinch of cinnamon!
Frequently Asked Questions
Nope! It has an earthy, slightly spicy flavor though (because of the ginger). It's delicious yet medicinal.
Yes! If you don't have raw honey, you can use clover honey any other kind you have on hand. You could also substitute maple syrup.
If you are not allergic, you absolutely can use dairy milk instead of non-dairy.
More Drink Recipes
Rose Moon Milk
- 1 saucepan
- 1 whisk
- 8 oz unsweetened plant milk oat, almond, coconut, or cashew
- ¼ cup tart cherry juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon beetroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon ashwagandha powder
- 2 teaspoon raw honey
- 2 teaspoon rosewater
- 1 dash ginger freshly grated
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan on the stove with the burner on medium heat.8 oz unsweetened plant milk, ¼ cup tart cherry juice concentrate, 1 teaspoon beetroot powder, ¼ teaspoon ashwagandha powder, 2 teaspoon raw honey, 2 teaspoon rosewater, 1 dash ginger
- Whisk the ingredients together vigorously until well combined.
- Serve in mugs right as the liquid begins to froth and steam. Garnish with cinnamon, rose petals, and other toppings of your choice.
I have some orange blossom water in my pantry (no rose water as I don't particularly favor it) - do you think the orange blossom will work okay in this recipe? I just love the rest of the ingredients!
Hi Christina! I think orange blossom water could work. It would go well with the ginger!
Mihaela | https://theworldisanoyster.com/
I've never given much consideration to prepare such good looking tea with health benefits too! I need to look for some of the ingredients before I give it a go.
You can find most of the ingredients at health food stores! A lot of grocery stores have rose water in the international foods aisle. Hope this helps!
Thissounds and looks so yummy. I have been wanting to try oatmilk so I can get away from dairy. Also, lovely storytelling through your imagery.
Thank you so much! And oat milk is my absolute favorite.
Cindy Mom the Lunch Lady
What a beautiful drink full of beneficial ingredients! Definitely something I need to try to improve my sleep.
This sounds heavenly and it looks beautiful. I Will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
What a beautiful drink and it is so needed in these times. I love everything about the recipe. The oat milk, ashwaganda and the beet root powder, I mean who can go wrong here. What a treat and so soothing.
This sounds breathtaking!